Halloween is a holiday where adults have as much fun as kids. However, with all of the sugar-induced comas, scary decorations and throwaway costumes comes a lot of waste. With Halloween around the corner, Handex would like to offer some tips to reduce your environmental impact while still having a fun and ghoulish holiday.
- Reuse your decorations from last year or repurpose materials around your house to make decorations. For example, an old sheet makes an excellent ghost!
- If you choose to buy new decorations, purchase decorations that are made of recycled materials.
- Use beeswax or soy candles to light-up your jack-o-lantern.
- Instead of giving out several pieces of candy to each trick-or-treater, hand out only one per person.
- Recycle last year’s costume, trade costumes with a friend or repurpose some of your old clothes to create a new costume. If your kids grow out of their costumes, donate them.
- Purchase local and/or organic pumpkins. Use the whole pumpkin and roast the seeds!
- Have your kids collect candy in a reusable bag instead of a disposable bag.
- Recycle candy wrappers into arts and crafts projects.
- Purchase healthier, possibly organic, alternatives to conventional candy to hand out to trick-or-treaters.
- Instead of driving the kids around to trick-or-treat, take a walk around the neighborhood or a local mall.
With these tips, creating a sustainable Halloween holiday will be easy and fun. Handex wishes you and your family a safe and spooky Halloween!